Thursday, September 25, 2008

HHS Exclusive: A Conversation With Mikkey Halsted

SOOO Out of all the interviews I have had this year this has been the best. Sorry I kept you guys waiting for this one but I wanted to make sure it was right.

What can I say about my man Mikkey Halsted??? Hmmmmm...well anything you say, times that by 20 and deep fry it in greatness!!! Then you would get something so truly awesome, that it remind you of the first time you saw Goku on DBZ or the first time you played Street Fighter and finally pulled off a
Shinkuu Hadouken with Ryu, it leaves you breathless...and that is how Mikkey's style is. So simple and so powerful you want to rewind and listen one more time to make sure that is what you really heard. Why do you think he is one of the few MC's that Lil' Wayne said made him switch his style and want to be better?? For the man known as Mikkey Halsted, you would think the industry set backs would over shadow his talent, but you would be wrong. Like the "wandering warrior" he resurfaced to fight, I guess you can call him Chi-Town's Ryu. Enjoy

Xcalibur: Ayo I got my man Mikkey with me today!! What up man?? How have you been??

Mikkey: I've been great fam. Just Grindin'...


X: For those who might not know who you are, introduce your self and give us a little back story...

M: I'm Mikkey Halsted. I hail from the Southside of Chicago, an area called the wild 100s, hood called Ragtown. I started rappin' seriously while in college on a b-ball scholarship...My sis (Miss Criss) had started working with a dude name Kanye West and I was over there freestyling one day and he thought I was dope and gave me a beat tape. We did some great music that got circulated and into the hands of Cash Money CEO Baby who flew Kanye down to N.O. to sign everyone. Out of everyone they liked me the most and when Ye decided to go to the Roc, I ended up staying in N.O. and signing with them. They tried to rape me (business wise) and I bounced. Got back to Chi, reunited with Ye's mentor, NO ID and we started grindin'. That got JD's attention, who just got the President spot Virgin and I signed over there. Just when we were about to shoot my 1st video, he left Virgin and I had to get out of that deal which I finally did. Now, here I am....



X: Word. SO Uncrowned King just came out, how do you feel about it?

M:I feel its dope...a classic mixtape...Its got the internet goin' nuts right now.



X: The joint is tra-hot man!! Who is was on the mixtape production wise?

M: No ID, Kanye, SC, All Day Miller, and a few others.


X:I know NO I.D. did a couple of joints man. How long have you been working with him?

M:He was tryin' to manage me before I went to CMR and we've always had a great friendship so the music comes naturally. We been grindin' together hard since about 2004.



X: You are a street dude man, but you are also politically minded, and you can hear it on songs like Liquor Store, & What Makes A Man. Where does that come from?

M: Just my upbringing...Chicago....my way of life... Chi is the political center of black America. Jesse lives here...Farrakhan lives here...Ali lives here...Obama lives here...the list goes on. Plus, educated. I got a Master's Degree. When you mix that with the fact that I'm addicted to Studying the Bible and History and add that with where I from and what I've been through and seen: from Gang Bangin and losing close friends, to dealing with drug abuse in my family, to having family that dealt drugs, etc. I am a reflection of all that and my music represents that well-roundedness.



X: Even though Uncrowned King was a mixtape did you take an album approach to it?

M:To a certain extent, but not whole-heartedly. I just made sure it represented my well-roundedness.



X: So lets go back a little ways man. You were signed to Cash Money a couple years back, what was the situation over there like? You seemed like you were gonna re-energize the label after your verse on "Undisputed."

M:Its was HELL...but I built some great friendships and relationships during my time there. I got a chance to walk around on a daily basis with CEO's of a major record label so it was a definite learning experience. Yea, It seemed like after "Undisputed" that I would take off, but that wasn't in Slim and Baby's plan. Baby wanted to be a rapper and a star himself. I know 1 thing, I would never again sign with a CEO that wants to be an artist himself.



X: How did you rebound from the label situation??

M:Basically, by leaving, getting out of that situation and getting together with NO ID and doing the music that represented me to the core. Getting a chance to say what I felt instead of having the pressure to make certain kinds of records.



X: The first time I had heard from you since then was on Rhymefest's joint "Chicago-Rillas" with you and Bump J. In the song you had the line "We don't need no bird call bitch we been fly, and when don't kiss another man in the mouth we GANGSTA, but we will run up in our house and stain ya!" was that a shot at Cash Money??

M: To a certain extent, I was just venting. Saying what was on my heart in that moment. It was a shot a Baby though, not Wayne...Wayne is a good dude and I support him 100%.



X: Also in the song you talked about working with Kanye before anyone else. What is your relationship with him now?

M: When I see him we're cool. I reach out occasionally, but we don't talk often at all. He's busy being the #1 artist in the world right now and I support him in everything because it was his belief in me that made me take rap serious in the 1st place. We are not close like we used to be and I miss those days. When his mom passed, it hurt...My dad passed around the same time so it was a rough time for me.




X: Now I think you where on the label around the same time as TQ and you have the song "Neva Gon Stop" with him on Uncrowned King. Did you guys remain cool even after the situation within the label?

M: Yea. TQ's one of my best friends and we were like brothers on the road. Me, him, and his road manager Big Q jammed real heavy. We will always support each other.




X: OK so back to the Chi man. There are so many dope cats that are from there and coming out of there. Who are you tight with??

M: Everybody. From the grimiest in Bump, Sly, Marvo and Count, to the Cool Kids, Mic Terror, Kidz in the Hall, to Mano and Hollywood. Im one of the few artists that bridge the gap and have fan bases on both sides. Plus, all the established artists like Rhymefest, Lupe (Chilly is like a big brother), Twon Gabz, Mick Luter, Mush Millions etc. I am Chicago.




X: Is there anyone from the Chi we should be looking for in the near future?

M: Everybody I just named, plus more. Chi is killin' it right now.




X: Has there been any more majors that have been trying to holler at you? if so who?

M: Yes a few, but I rather not say because It could affect the business.




X: Let's talk about the album a little bit. What can you tell us about it at this point? like collabos, production etc. And when should we expect it?

M: Production is handled by No ID and whomever No ID lets on the album. I just did a crazy joint with Traxster. Prolyfic, 1120, SC, Boogz, B. Miller are all producers I fux with heavy. I do wanna work with Mannie again and also my buddy Polow.




X: Who is on your list of dream collabos man??

M: Nas, Cube, Lauryn Hill, Jay-Z, Eminem, Jill Scott, Kanye, and Twista.




X: Let's switch to something that is mad serious for this year man. The upcoming election. What are your thoughts on it man? From Obama to McCain and Joe Biden to Sarah Palin...

M: I'm rockin' with Obama... McCain doesn't get it... anyone who could think that you could be a millionaire and still be middle class is living in another world than the one I live in. Palin is a sick ploy to pander to the disgruntled Clinton supporters... If I was a Clinton supporter I would be offended because she's no Hillary Clinton, by a long shot. I liked what Biden brings to the Obama camp as well. Still, with the Obama victory, black people in America face some hurdles that I don't think they see coming. Case and point: An Obama victory will signify an end to affirmative action as we know it. White America will no longer accept the uneven playing field argument and will start to reject the notion that minorities have glass ceilings and require special set-asides, quotas and the like. The problem is that even if America elects a black president, the inequities will still be there. The disparities in school funding leave minorities getting a far less quality of education than their more wealthy counter parts and as we know, education is the key factor in poverty, crime, etc. So I fear that if we as a people don't start solving all of our real problems from the inside out that we will have a black president who is a great symbol of hope and inspiration but that our people will be suffering with less governmental assistance because whites will say hey, "You can't play the race card now and say that its unequal...LOOK at the president!"



X: And who are you voting for fam?

M: Still, You gotta support OBAMA. His policies are far more economically sound and when you have the power to inspire and galvanize like his machine does, there is nothing that can't be accomplished and CHANGED.



X:OK I gotta ask this too man. Its football season...who are you rolling with??

M: The Bears of course and the Eagles, McNabb is a my homey from the Chi.




X: What about basketball man? The new season will be here soon..

M: Basketball is my sport. That's how I got to college I actually tried out for the Knicks and the Hawks personnel and made the Atlanta Trojans of the USBL they had players like Raja Bell and Darrell Armstrong in previous seasons. I had a chance to play overseas that I turned down as well cause I was already workin' with Ye' at the time.

As far as the NBA, I hate the Bulls Management so I've stopped rooting for them. My favorite team is the Golden State Warrior, but they traded my favorite player in Baron Davis. If I had to pick the Championship this year, I think it'll come down to Boston and LA again, but Portland, Miami, Houston, SA, and Philly will be strong. I'm gonna root for the Clips too.



X: Alright man!!!! Any last words for the people out there? That includes shameless plugs home-bro lol

M: The Whole Uncrowned City fam. Look out for Ms. Criss, Famous, Da G & Da Rock, and Alert-Man coming soon.


X: Man it was nice as hell talking to you man and it is good to hear good music coming from the MidWest/ Windy City!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i got his mixtape...HOOOT!!!! Best since the drought

Intelligent Gangsta said...

I respect dude and hope he gets his proper shine. He's the best from the chi, signed or unsigned.