Monday, June 23, 2008

Are The Fans Hip-Hop's Problem???


SO here is question for everyone...How many albums of the artists you support, like, think is hot have you bought in the last, mmmm let’s say four years, or maybe two years if you can't remember that far back. Well for me personally I have bought a lot. More than I can count. And as much as I hate buying albums off of iTunes (I'm a CD collector of sorts) There is some stuff I had to buy on iTunes because of the pure fact of not being able to find it in the store, namely the Hall of Justus album "Soldiers of Fortune" and Jaylib's "Champion Sound" (before the whole "OMG J.Dilla is the GREATEST beat smith on the planet!!" explosion happened and you couldn't find any of the Stones Throw stuff in stores (well major retailers) and the Cool Kids' "The Bake Sale" because their album was exclusive to iTunes to start out with before the store release. Now I will say this also I well buy singles on iTunes and turn around and buy the album when it comes out. Anyway it goes I'm spending the money I earn to support the artist I love.

Music sales, not just in Hip-Hop have been down way down in the last couple of years due to music being readily accessible, e.i. illegal downloading. But there are people that do that and still buy the albums and some that don't. You get a whole experience with a CD because you get the cover art along with, the booklet, liner notes, with the CD. Its the whole experience, even iTunes when you buy albums include the digital booklet. So you are still getting the experience. Some people care some don't. Now I will say this, for those of us who buy the physical album and spend time, energy, money, & GAS to drive to our local big box retailer or little niche shop or record store we are getting punched in the face a little by iTunes. As much as I love Steve Jobs and his products, along with the new music business model he single handed helped to install, Loyal fans who go out and buy the album (the GAS, the GAS!!!) are being cut out of the exclusive tracks or bonus content. Case in point, I went out on day one before work to buy the new N.E.R.D. album and felt the usual excitement of opening the package and smelling that new CD smell and HOLDING the album, only to discover that the "Everybody Nose (Remix)" was exclusive to the iTunes version of the album. I was still happy with my purchase but at the same time felt a little betrayed by the industry I try to defend and support.

In the same token, its not all big buckets of gravy for those who shop exclusively on iTunes either. When Jay-Z' "American Gangster" came out, Hova opted out of the iTunes download and told people to get off their ASS and buy the album. And it worked. Hova's album did a little under a million, proving people still cared about buying the album. Same is to be for 50 Cent, Kanye West, and most recently Lil' Wayne. All four proving that people still care about the artists they adore and will continue the die hard support.

Next point...since I brought Lil Weezyana up in the last paragraph...let me just say the album was disappointing. All the waiting, all the hype, all of the edge of our seat waiting, and we get an album that is not even as good as his "Dedication" series or his "Drought" series. I know I am not the only that was not happy about this one. Spent money on it and didn't even feel like I got my moneys worth. Now before the Weezy fans come to hang me by my neck and set fire to my manga under me, there were some nice tracks on the album...SOME. Some of the songs that could have been bigger were ruined by him!! My actual point being, are labels lack of support for their major artist and glorification of ringtone artists killing album sells? Quite possible yes… In the same breath the lack of focus on some artists projects have turned people off to spending their hard earned money on albums where they can just go to iTunes and buy the tracks they like and still feel like they are getting their moneys worth.

NOW I have interviewed both Chaundon (of Hall of Justus fame) and Mick Boogie (Commissioner!!!) and they both pointed out that the fans were the problem when I asked what Hip-Hop's problem was. Are the fans expecting too much and giving little in return? Are artist giving their all for their loyalist supporters knowing that they will buy the album? Or are artist taking the road most traveled and putting out lackluster albums only to return and bless the fans with dope ish? Should WE as fans care more about the artists and their craft and the work they put in? (Absolutely to that question) But in the same token do we as fans remain on the fence seeing that the labels don't care about the fans or the artists themselves and blame it on everyone but themselves? And because they labels alienate the fans do we buck the system and download illegally? The answers are for you and YOU alone to answer. But the next time you listen to your favorite artists or a new fresh kat and the words "THIS DUDE/CHICK IS HOT!!" ask yourself, would you buy the album or even the single? if not cool down and sit back on the couch. Because in the long run, the artist does it not only for themselves but also for the fans, show support through iTunes or physically copping the CD, because I know I will, because if we don't support who will?

Xcalibur Prime

No comments: