Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Shakir Stewart Not Interested In Replacing Jay-Z, Just Picking Up Where Hov Left Off


Yesterday L.A. Reid announced that Shakir Stewart had been promoted to executive vice president of Def Jam Recordings. We caught up with the new top dog to discuss upcoming albums from Nas and LL Cool J and to find out how he plans on filling Jay-Z's shoes.

As previously reported, the former Def Jam A&R -known for signing Rick Ross and Young Jeezy to the label - took over Jigga's spot, which has been vacant since the hip-hop mogul stepped down in December.

Stewart, who counts Jay as a friend, says he ready to pick up where the rapper left off.

"I'm up for the task," he said. "I'm up for the challenge of it. I'm not caught up in, 'I'm replacing Jay-Z.' I'm here to deliver and work for my artists and build and expand on the brand. That's my goal."

"Jay-Z's shoes would be hard to fill in any fashion," he added. "So, my focus is really to come in and do my job and help build and create my legacy as well expand the legacy that's already there."

His first priority as EVP is to release albums from hip-hop icons, Nas and LL Cool J.

"This is the most anticipated and probably most controversial album of [Nas'] career and I've worked side by side with him in making this album since day one, " he revealed. "I'm also extremely involved in LL Cool J's album which is coming out at the end of July. To be able to come in and work with two artists of that caliber is me stepping outside of my comfort zone. I'm so honored and excited about the opportunity."

In addition to these hip-hop releases, Stewart is looking forward to releasing a new R&B album from Ne-Yo, re-launching Rihanna's most recent album and breaking new R&B and pop signees.

"My focus, as I step into this position is to put out great music, all genres of music," he says.

Written By Danica Dow for SOHH.com

No comments: