Tuesday, June 17, 2008

HHS Exclusive: An Interview With Chaudon...


Wow!! Where do I begin with this guy?! Chaundon has to be one of my favorite emcees. I mean Hall Of Justus as a whole is like a whole traveling circus of dope shit!! Now I'm NOT calling them clowns by any means...most of the time Chaundon and Phonte are making dudes look like clowns (lol). For those of you who have not picked up any HOJ album or any of Chaundon's work, dude is not just a breath of fresh air, more like a blast of it! He hits you hard with his word play, the proceeds to make you laugh and when the punchlines come around he makes you hold up your hand and go "OOOOOOOH RAADDA!" Dude is the truth on and off the M-I-C. He speaks truth after truth that make you go "hmmmmm," which was the case with this interview. Sit back (or Get Back), chill, grab a drank (yes I said drank), and enjoy the interview. 1ne, AND GO BUY CHAUNDON'S "CARNAGE" IN STORES NOW!!!!!



Xcalibur: OK ya boy Xcalibur is back with another exclusive interview! Today it's with Hall of Justus hit man Chaundon!! What's good family!?

Chaundon: I'm chillin' X! Just on the phone choppin' it up with Oprah. I think she feelin' me yo!



X: For those how may not know who you are introduce yourself...

C: Well, for the many people that don't know the most unknown known lol, my name is Chaundon. I am the punch line heavyweight from The Bronx, now residing in Morrisville, NC. I run with the illest crew ever, The Hall Of Justus, and I can cook better than EVERYBODY.



X: Alright man, before we get into the serious questions....NBA Finals....Boston or L.A.. I say Boston, KG & Ray Allen Fan & my boy Paul Pierce is from KU...

C: What are you talking about? This is a serious question. Gang Green, aka The Boston Celtics will be crowned champions in the next couple of games. KG, its your time!!!!!!



X:On to the music, Your album "Carnage" just dropped. It was a dope album man!! I found it after searching a couple months. What was your approach for the album?

C: Funny thing, I didn't have an approach when I made this album. I just wanted to put out a dope record as a NY emcee! There hasn't been too many dope albums to come out of my borough. So I took it upon myself to change that.




X: Now you have the Ambitions of a Writer & The Venom joints. How do those differ from the album?

C: The album is more cohesive. Those joints were warning shots of what Carnage was going to be.




X: I have to say man, when you make music that makes people vibe to it & the don't know who you are, because of age mostly, thats a great thing. I played a little of the album for my 9 year old nephew and he loved it!

C: That's what's up. I keep my music honest. Thats why people can gravitate to it. If I were the exaggeration type, people would see right through it and not give my music the time of day. As you can see in the last 5 years, there have been a lot of fake rappers coming and going faster than the common cold.




X: Man it almost seems like you are the unofficial third member in Little Brother. How do you guys have such great chemistry?

C: I am the unofficial 3rd lol. We have been a group before there was a Little Brother. So that explains the chemistry. Plus we are truly a family and we work toward the same goal, make dope music!




X: Speaking of Little Brother, Phonte & Pooh Make great music man. Do you think they kicked open the door for the rest of the HOJ?

C: Hell yeah they kicked in the door! Their hard work, dedication, dope stage shows, and incredible music has given us a lane to run completely mad on!!




X: I also notice you, Skyzoo, & Torae have great chemistry together. Is it because you guys are all from NY? lol

C: Great Chemistry comes from dope emcees who are tired of the music they hear. So it was so easy for Skyzoo, Torae, and I to bring forth unbelievable music from a place where Hip Hop seems non existent commercially. Shout to Sha Stimuli, D-Black, Fresh Daily, Shoota, Icon Watson, & Poison Pen (just to name a few) who also are contributing to the reconstruction of great music to come out of NYC. The list is just too long for me to name everybody else!




X: Now I know LB had a deal, are you happy being indie?

C: I never cared about getting a deal. I just wanted the money!!! I have paid my bills with out being signed by going on the road, THANKS LB!!!! Being featured on other artists albums, booking shows, and selling merchandise on line. By the way, go to www.myspace.com/chaundon and www.hallofjustus.com to purchase all the cd's and t-shirts you need!!




X: All of the MC's in HOJ have the ability to connect on a more human level, which is refreshing. Like they actually understand the common 9-5 dude grinding and working to get out dreams and such. Why do you think that is?

C: We were the common 9-5 dudes grinding, trying to keep the lights on, and keeping a roof over our heads. In a way we still are the 9-5 dudes. Putting out music and performing is a job in it self. At the end of the day, our job of being extraordinary emcees still has to finance our way of life and keep the lights on.




X: I interviewed Mick Boogie, not long ago & asked him what he thought about Hip-Hop as a whole right know. As a whole the art form is over saturated & artists along with employees are getting dropped left and right. Coming from you, an indie artist, what do you think or see the problem as being and how can it be fixed?

C: The problem is the fans! Now before I get stoned, tarred, and feathered, allow me to explain why I say the fans are the root of the problem. Ok....here I go! Now we all know the game is all about numbers which turns into dollars and cents. If an artist isn't doing a certain level of numbers, then he/she is not making any dollars and cents for the label and its curtains for the artist no matter how good they are. So when the fans don't go to the store and support their favorite artist and only download the music, the soundscan show that he/she is not selling anything. So the artist gets dropped. The thing that bothers me is when I hear people bitch and moan about the whack artist who have a successful career. Their fans are actually buying their music, ring tones, etc. If the fans who get mad when their favorite emcee isn't getting any shine, and would rally behind and support that artist, then he/she will be on the radio & tv all day selling a gang of records. So please be apart of the solution and support the music you say you love. [Ed. Note Woooow!]




X: But in the same token there are new dudes coming out now that are a breath of fresh air for Hip-Hop. Like this new class of dudes are nice!! Who would be your pick for the new artist to watch out for?

C: I don't know who are the new class of dudes are. Honestly, I'm in the studio too much to know whats going on. I'm too busy making a name for myself. I am still apart of the new class!




X: Ok back to you man, you have a super aggressive flow. Where does that come from?

C: It comes from the hatred of whack emcees, and where I grew up. Back in Hunts Point Avenue in The Bronx, I was taught to be the best. There were a lot of dope emcees in my neighborhood and the only way to be noticed was to be second to none. So I battled every rapper I met when I attended high school. Then I started going to different neighborhoods to shut down their best rapper. Then I started jumping in ciphers everywhere I saw one. It was my mission to be that dude no matter where I went. I still feel that way, so the flow gets more aggressive with every song I write.



X:On both 9th Wonder's and The Hall of Justus Album you had stand out verses. Do you go harder on songs to set yourself apart from others?

C: Of course! Its not like I'm rhyming with some slouches. I have a team of talented emcees who go in every time!! So the level gets raised and I have to go to a place I never been before and black out.




X: Your music along with the others in HOJ leaves you wanting more, is that your goal?

C: Yes. I cant wait to hear what we (HOJ) are about to do next. I am about to complete 2 more albums by July. We all are working on albums right now. The HOJ is so consistent in doing better than what was done previously. So wanting more just comes with the territory.




X: You also true to stay connected with the fans. Is that a big part of what you do? The fans?

C: The fans are my fuel to the fire. I chop it up with them every day. Some of my music is based off our conversations. Thats why I give out my information for them to reach me. When they order my cds from me on myspace, I sign the cds then email them and follow up to see if they received it and to get their thoughts on the music.



X: So what's next for Chaundon? Do you have anything do coming? Even cameos lol.

C: I have 2 more albums on the way. Thanks to myspace, a lot of emcees have reached out to me to feature on their mixtapes and albums. So you will be hearing a lot from The Bronx Borough President!! I am looking to connect with more show promoters so I can rock in a venue near you! So if anyone reading this is a promoter or knows a promoter who can bring me to your city get at me at chaundonmusic@gmail.com




X: I have to ask, what is it like working with both Khrysis & 9th Wonder? And how do their styles differ?

C: Its a family affair man...We've been making music for so long its not about making music anymore. When we get in the studio, we talk, tell jokes, and listen to other music we've been working on before we even start recording.



X: You also worked with Illmind who did most of LB's last album. How was that experience?

C: MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN Ill Mind is dope!! I haven't been in the studio with him yet. He just gives me the beat cds and I go to work. I am looking forward to actually record with him one day.




X: Are there any producers you would love to work with? I could see you over some Just Blaze tracks lol

C:The # 1 answer to that question is Dr. Dre. I bet all of you knew I was going to say that hahahah. I still want to work with Preem! Pete Rock and I have something in the works so stay tuned! I would like to work with Just, Kanye, Pharell & Chad, and Easy Mo Bee.




X: What about artist? Any who stand out that you wanna do songs with?

C: Damn this is a long Christmas list so I will just name a few. Black Thought, Joel Ortiz, 50, Doug E. Fresh, & Uncle Luke on some 2 Live Crew shit!!!



X: OK HOJ does really good 3 man plus posse cuts, like you have a couple at the end of your album. How is that? Are you guys all in the booth together when you record them?

C: Some times it works out that way. Other times the guests record in their studios and email the session.



X: Alright man, before we wrap this is there anything you wanna leave the people? (Shameless plugs count lol)

C: CARNAGE IS AVAILABLE EVERYWHERE SO SUPPORT ME ON THIS ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Other cds to cop, GET BACK, DAILY CONVERSATION, SOLDIERS OF FORTUNE, & TRAINING DAY......Don't just download, purchase the album!!!



X: Damn dude thanks again for the time homie!!!

C: I appreciate you giving me the time to speak to you and your readers. 1ne

No comments: