Thursday, June 12, 2008

HHS Exclusive: Mick Boogie Interview


I have to say Mick Boogie is the coolest DJ on the PLANET. He reminds me of my mentor/friend JT Quick...and no not because the are both fly white guys but because their love for not just Hip-Hop but music as a whole is very refreshing since there are so many woes in the music business. If you cruise Mick's Myspace, you will see that he is just as normal as any of us. From the picture of him, ones with his friends, his new wife (congrats), & even ones with his cat Young Hov (The one with Young Hov & the Transformers figures had me dying!!!) he is a normal Kat...a normal Kat that does outstanding music & mixtapes. From Young Chris, To Busta, B.o.B, Kanye, & Little Brother, the music is well thought out & addictive with the sound of "COMMISSIONER!!!" interrupting every now and again. Mick Boogie is one of many that has his finger in the trigger of the future. Pay attention!!! What Up YOUNG HOV!!! (The cat, not the rapper lmao). - Xcalibur Prime


Xcalibur: Today I have the one and ONLY Mick Boogie!! How goes it man? Thanks for the interview man I really appreciate it.

Mick Boogie: Thanks for having me.

X: Ok so you recently got married, congrats man!

MB: Thanks. She's the best!

X: So what made you want to DJ? I have to say that your were one of my influences among many others to start.

MB: Jazzy jeff... Live at union square. From the he's the dj album. It was and still is amazing. And it got the wheels turning.

X: Most people don't know, but you are the official DJ for the Cleveland Cavaliers. How did you land that gig?

MB: Hustle, marketing and connections. A great job. One I am now sadly leaving as I make the move to nyc.

X: While we are talking about the Cavs, lets talk a little basketball. How did you feel the Cavs did this season?

MB: Pretty good but we won't be satisified til we win a championship. Maybe next year!

X: What about the middle-season trade scramble? How do you think that worked out in you opinion? I'm a fan of Phoenix and I think the Shaq traded should have been done a lot earlier...

MB: Yeah. Way earlier. Didn't work out for us or the suns. But the lakers did great...lol.

X: Overall where do you place the Cavs trade? Because I don't think it was the worst...the Dallas trade was lol.

MB: Yeah... Dallas is screwed. I think we will be ok next year. Delonte is gonna be an allstar someday.

X: OK the finals are starting...Boston or L.A.? I say Boston, KG fan.

MB: Boston! Been a Celtics fan since Kindergarden!

X: Let's switch to music. How did the DJ Drama fiasco affect you as a DJ?

MB: Well it made everyone rethink the game a little. For me, I've fallen back from mixtapes and focused more on travelling, and life couldn't be better.

X: Right after that YOU single handedly brought back the mixtape as we know it. How did you do it?

MB: I wouldn't say that. I just tried to do some creative things and focus on the download, marketing side of it. Rather than cds.

X: Now did it just begin with Little Brother or did you already plan on doing something with them?

MB: It was already in the works. Those guys are family.

X: There was also The Graduate Mixtape with Kanye & 9th Wonder, how did that one come about?

MB: Well, Big Dho from the Justus League hooked us up with 9th. And I have a good relationship with good music. And LRG was behind that as well.

X: Now you do a lot of work with LRG how did that happen?

MB: I met them casually over the years and it grew into a nice business relationship. They make great clothes and I'm happy to deal with such a progressive company.

X:There is a new mixtape being done with Wale, LRG, & 9th Wonder, are you part of that too?

MB: No sir. But I have the utmost respect for Wale. He is dope!

X: Let's talk about the most recent of your releases. The LRG mixtape with B.o.B. How did you hear about B.o.B & what was it like working with him?

MB: Bob is a underrated talent. Very diverse kid. LRG set that up. I think the skies the limit for him as long as DJs give him a chance.

X: Hip-Hop has been in kind of a slump, but recently there has been a surge of new artist thats are making it exciting again, B.o.B being one of them. Which artists of this new class, should we be keeping our eyes on?

MB: Definitely B.o.B. My man Sixth Sense is dope. Skyzoo. Lots of people. (Ed Note: Skyzoo is fresh as a new summer breeze!)

X: I have to ask...What is Terry Urban's role lol? I hear his name on all your projects and the guy seems a little like a ghost.

MB: He is next up to bat. Very talented DJ. He does half of those projects with me and coordinates stuff when I'm traveling. Google him... His mash-ups are crazy.

X: It seems like Hip-Hop, as music & an art form, is crowded and over saturated and not only on the artists front. Major labels are dropping employees everyday along with artist, artist new & old are going back to being Indie, even major mixtape DJs like yourself are feeling the backlash. What do you think needs to happen for Hip-Hop to get back on its feet?

MB: More creativity. A new business model. Consumers who give a fuck about the art. And some luck. Lol.

X: OK so what new mixtapes or projects are you working on?

MB:[Rapper]Big Pooh from Little Brother has something we are dropping soon. Terry and I are working on something for my Asia tour this July. And Benzi and I have our Motivation series which is dope and all uptempo club music.

X: What about music, are there any albums coming out you are looking forward too? N*E*R*D, Nas, David Banner, & Saigon are on my list...

MB: N*E*R*D, Nas, Nappy Roots. Lot of N's. Lol. Young Chris too.

X: Alright Mick, were there any words you wanted to leave us with before we wrapped up the interview?

MB: Thanks for your time. Check out my website and blog. And myspace.

mickboogie.blogspot.com

www.myspace.com/mickboogie

mickboogie.com

X:Thanks again man! I truly appreciate it!

No comments: