Friday, June 06, 2008

LL Cool J Talks "Exit 13" And Supports Shakir Stewart


As LL Cool J readies the release of his 13th studio album, We talk to him about the new disc, his rumored diss aimed at Maino, and his thoughts on Def Jam's new executive vice president.

LL tells us that for his upcoming record, Exit 13, he was focused on creating a fresh new sound.

"I'm not tryin to recapture yester year and I'm not tryin to imitate anybody or be like anybody," he said. "I got kids for that. I'm really pushing the envelope with this record."

The Queens-bred vet drafted a few "young, hungry" producers for the disc, bypassing the "usual cast of characters," he said, though he did recruit DJ Scratch for the track, "Rockin' with the G.O.AT."

Other contributors include 50 Cent, who worked very closely with LL throughout the recording process, The-Dream, Ritchie Sambora of Bon Jovi and Lil' Mo.

"The single is actually the most conventional of all the records on the album. It only gets better and crazier as you go along," LL said.

He wants to branch out with his sound on this new joint, since he considers his last couple of projects to be flops.

"I think the last two records have suffered because of the other commitments in my life; doing a couple of songs on the album, then shooting a movie ..." LL said. "So I would get a hit here and a hit there, but I didn't get full bodies of work that really blew people away."

Yet the rapper is confident Exit 13 will change all that.

"I'm not doing the same ol' same ol' that I've been doing," LL said. "When it's 24 years later and your project is still relevant to many people, you have a responsibility to put out great music."

The G.O.A.T.'s longevity comes from his fearless love for the music.

"I'm not afraid to change, I'm not afraid to experiment, I'm not afraid to get hated on ..."

And he wasn't, by the way, hating on Maino when he recently jumped on Maino's "Hi Hater" track with his own remix.

"That's a young cat comin' up in the game, I would never do that to him," he explained. "That's not even my style. I sang along with him, 'hi haters,' he got it right."

LL's 13th studio album is also the last disc before his contract with Def Jam is up, thus the title, Exit 13. But the G.O.A.T. may renew with the label since Jay-Z stepped down and the new EVP, Shakir Stewart, was announced.

"I think the quality of the music will get better and I think Shakir's a good choice," he announced. "I support him 100 %."

Exit 13 is slated to hit shelves in late July, early August.

Written By Brandi Hopper For SOHH.com

No comments: